||Clinical & Research Activities
Papers presented / published by staff of the Flinders University
Rural Clinical School:
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Worley P, Prideaux D, Strasser R, Magarey A,
March R. Empirical evidence for symbiosis medical education: a
comparative analysis of community and tertiary-based programs.
Medical Education 2006; 40:109-116. http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-2929.2005.02366.x
- Walters L, Worley P. Training in rural practice:
time for integration. Australian Journal of Rural Health 2006
(Oct) 5: 171-172.
- Couper I, Worley P. Health and information
in Africa: the role of the journal Rural and Remote Health. Rural
and Remote Health 6 (online), 2006: 644. http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=644
- Humphreys J, Worley P, Solarsh G, Dunbar J,
Ranmuthugala G, Wakerman J, Solarsh B, Walters L.
What aspects of “rural exposure” contribute to the
likelihood of taking up rural practice? A feasibility study. Final
Report to Australian Government Department of health and Ageing,
- Greenhill J, Dix K, 2006, Qualitative methodologies
in the rural Indigenous context. Respecting Culture: telling stories
of suicide prevention in rural communities. How do we maximize
cultural sensitivity? International Journal of Qualitative Methods
IJQM 5(3) November.
- Shephard MDS, Mazzachi BC, Shephard AK, Burgoyne
T, Dufek A, Ah Kit J, et al. Point-of-care testing in Aboriginal
hands - a model for chronic disease prevention and management
in Indigenous Australia. Point
of Care. 2006;5:168-76.
- Shephard MDS, Gill JP. The analytical quality
of point-of-care testing in the 'QAAMS' model for diabetes management
in Australian Aboriginal medical services. Clinical Biochemist
- Shephard MDS, Allen GG, Paizis K, Barbara JAJ,
Batterham M, Vanajek A. Results of an Aboriginal community-based
renal disease management program incorporating point of care testing
for urine albumin:creatinine ratio. Rural and Remote Health 6:591
(Online) 2006 http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=591
- Shephard MDS. Analytical goals for point-of-care
testing used for diabetes management in Australian health care
settings outside the laboratory. Point
of Care. 2006;5:177-85.
- Shephard MDS. Point-of-care testing trial in
general practice in Australia. Point
of Care. 2006;5:192.
- Shephard MDS. Cultural and clinical effectiveness
of the ‘QAAMS’ point-of-care testing model for diabetes
management in Australian Aboriginal medical services. Clinical
Biochemistry Reviews. 2006;27:161-70.
- Shephard M, Whiting M. Assessment of the practicability
and analytical performance of a point-of-care affinity chromatography
haemoglobin A1c analyser for use in the non-laboratory setting.
Annals of Clinical Biochemistry. 2006;43:513-5.
- Shemesh T, Rowley KG, Shephard M, Piers LS, O'Dea K. Agreement
between laboratory results and on-site pathology testing using
Bayer DCA 2000 and Cholestech LDX point-of-care methods in remote
Australian Aboriginal communities. Clinica Chimica Acta. 2006;367:69-76
- Worley PS. Always one doctor away from a crisis.
Rural and Remote Health 4 (online), 2004: 317. http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=317
- Worley PS. Good health to rural communities?
Rural and Remote Health 4 (online), 2004: 292. http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=292
- Nichols A, Worley PS, Toms L, Johnston-Smith
PR. Change of place, change of pace, change of status: rural community
training for junior doctors, does it influence choices of training
and career? Rural and Remote Health 4 (online), 2004: 259. http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=259
- Rosenthal DR, Worley PS, Mugford B, Stagg P.
Vertical integration of medical education: Riverland experience,
South Australia. Rural and Remote Health 4 (online), 2004: 228.
- Worley P, Esterman A, Prideaux D. A cohort
study of the examination performance of undergraduate medical
students learning in community settings. British Medical Journal
- Lionis C, Worley P. Emergence of the European
Section of the international journal of Rural and Remote Health.
Rural and Remote Health 3 (online), 2003: 257. http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=257
- Shephard MDS, Allen GG, Barratt LJ, Paizis
K, Brown M, Barbara JAJ, McLeod G, Vanajek A. Albuminuria in a
remote South Australian Aboriginal community: results of a community-based
screening program for renal disease. Rural and Remote Health 3
(online) (2003). http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=156
- Shephard MDS. Point-of-care testing in the
Aboriginal community. Australian Journal of Medical Science 24:
- Walters L, Worley P, et al. (2003). The parallel
rural community curriculum: is it a transferable model? Rural
and Remote Health 3 (online), 2003: no 236. http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=236
- Worley P. Relationships: a new way to analyse
community-based medical education? Education for Health 2002;15:117-128
- Worley P. Integrity: the key to quality in
community-based medical education? Education for Health 2002;15:129-138.
- Couper I, Worley P. The Ethics of International
Recruitment. Rural and Remote Health 2 (online), 2002: 196. http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=196
- Jones R, Mazzachi B and Shephard MDS. Point-of-Care
in Aboriginal Hands. Aboriginal and Islander Health Worker Journal
26: 13-16 (2002).
- Zeunert S, Cerro N, Boesch L, Duff M, Shephard MDS,
Jureidini KF and Braun J. Nutrition project in a remote Australian
Aboriginal community. Journal of Renal Nutrition 12: 102-106 (2002).
- Shephard MDS and Tallis G. Assessment of the
point-of-care Cholestech Lipid Analyser for lipid screening in
Aboriginal communities. Australian Journal of Medical Science
23: 4-10 (2002).
- Shephard MDS and Allen GG. Screening for renal
disease in a remote Aboriginal community using the Bayer DCA 2000.
Australian Journal of Medical Science 22: 164-170 (2001).
- Veitch C, Hollins J, Worley P, Mitchell G.
General practice research. Problems and solutions in participant
recruitment and retention. Australian Family Physician 2001;30(4):399-406
- Worley PS, Kitto P. A Hypothetical Model of
the Financial Impact of Student Attachment on Rural General Practice.
Rural and Remote Health 2001: http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=83
- Prideaux D, Saunders N, Schofield K, Wing L, Gordon J, Hays
R, Worley P et al. Country report: Australia.
Medical Education 2001;35(5):495-504.
- Mugford, BV, Worley, PS, Braund,
W, Martin, A. Rural intern training. Rural and
Remote Health 2001: http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=86
- Shephard MDS, Brown M, Hudson M, Riessen C
and Braun J. The Umoona Kidney Project. Aboriginal and Islander
Health Worker Journal 24: 12-15 (2000).
- Shephard MDS. The Umoona Kidney Project - Case
Study of Effective Aboriginal Health Care. South Australian Medical
Review 13: 16-19 (2000).
- Worley PS, Prideaux DJ, Strasser RP, Silagy
CA, Magarey JA. Why we should teach undergraduate medical students
in rural communities. Medical Journal of Australia 2000;172(12):615-7.
- Worley P, Silagy C, Prideaux D, Newble D,
Jones A. The Parallel Rural Community Curriculum: an integrated
clinical curriculum based in rural general practice. Medical Education
- Lines DR, Forsyth K, Worley PS. Teaching undergraduate
Paediatrics in a rural community. Focus on Health Professional
Education: A Multi-Disciplinary Journal 2000;2(3):25-30.
- Worley P, March R, Worley E. Scanning the
horizon of training for general practice. Medical Teacher 2000;22(5):452-5.
- Worley P, Lines D. Can specialist disciplines
be learned by undergraduates in a rural general practice setting?
Preliminary results of an Australian pilot study. Medical Teacher
- Shephard MDS, Barratt L, Simpson-Lyttle W.
Is the Bayer DCA 2000 acceptable as a screening instrument for
the early detection of renal disease? Annals of Clinical Biochemistry.
- Watts RW, Marley J, Worley P. Undergraduate
Education in Anaesthesia: The influence of Role Models on Skills
Learnt and Career Choice. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care. 1998;
26: 201 –203
- Barritt A, Silagy C, Worley P. Watts R, Marley
J, Gill D. Attitudes of rural general practitioners towards undergraduate
medical student attachments. Australian Family Physician. 1997;
- Worley P, Prideaux D. The Thai Australian
Government Sector Linkages Project: Collaborative Project to Increase
Production of Rural Doctors (CPIRD) Ministry of Public Health
Thailand. Final Report to the Commonwealth Department of Health
and Aging, October 2003
- Worley P, Prideaux D. The Collaborative Project
to Increase Production of Rural Doctors (CPIRD) Ministry of Public
Health Thailand. Final Report to the Commonwealth Department of
Health and Aging, May 2002
- Strasser R, Worley P, Togno C, Hays R, Vietch
C, Nicholls A, Carson D. Models of Sustainable Rural and Remote
General Practice Services: A Dream Come True? Final Report of
Consultancy commissioned by the Commonwealth Department of Health
and Family Services, Feb 1998.
- Worley P, Gribble J. Mid-North Mental Health
Case Conferencing Project. Final Report to the Commonwealth Department
of Human Services and Health, 1996
- Wilkinson D, Strasser R, Worley P, Hays R.
(eds) Handbook of Rural Medicine London 2004: Oxford University
Press (in press)
- Hays R, Worley P, Coote W. Education and Training,
chapter in General Practice in Australia 2003 Canberra: Commonwealth
Department of Health and Aging, (in press)
- Walters L. Rural Women's Health, Chap 14,
Pg147-157: The Handbook of Rural Medicine in Australia. Oxford
University Press, 2002
- Christie A, Worley P, Jones M. The internet
and clinical reasoning. In: Higgs J, Jones M, editors. Clinical
Reasoning in the Health Professions. 2nd ed. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann;
2000. p. 148-55.
- Worley P. Chapter author. We are Hanging On
- Voices of Hope in the Rural Crisis. Adelaide: Lutheran Publishing
Non-peer reviewed articles
- Worley P. Current developments in medical education
in Australia. Luke’s Journal 2007 (in press)
- Walters L, Worley P, et al.. Our turn for interns.
Outback ACRRM 2006
- Wachtel, T., Greenhill, J., 2006, Keeping the
Bush Beat: A Cardiac Rehabilitation Program for Rural Capacity
Building, Australian Nursing Journal 13:10:41.
- Worley P. Evolution or Revolution: The Parallel
Rural Community Curriculum. Harvard Macy Institute Annual Proceedings.
1999. Harvard Medical School (in press)
- Worley P. Up in Smoke. AD.(Australian Magazine
for Youth) Joint Board of Christian Education, 1989.
- Worley P. Coping with Disability. AD. (Australian
Magazine for Youth) Joint Board of Christian Education, 1989.
Conference and invited presentations
- Worley P. From Marginal to mainstream: Rural
undergraduate medical education in Australia. Monash University
East Gippsland Clinical School Commencement Dinner, Bairnsdale,
Victoria, February, 2007
- Worley P. Trends in Medical Education in Australia.
Invited keynote address to National Meeting on Innovative Medical
Curricula. Khoayai, Thailand. December 2006.
- Worley P. Medical Education at Flinders University.
Invited address to Country Health SA Executive Meeting. Adelaide,
Australia. December 2006
- Worley P. Medical student selection at Flinders
University. Victorian Symposium on Rural Medical Education. Melbourne,
Victoria. November 2006.
- Worley P. Creating new rural-focused medical
schools. The Australian experience. Invited keynote address to
WONCA Rural Conference. Seattle, USA. September 2006.
- Worley P. Career preferences of extended rural
clerkship students. Preliminary data from an Australian cohort
study. WONCA Rural Conference. Seattle, USA. September 2006
- Worley P Rural Medical Education: An opportunity
for University of Otago to take the lead. Howard Chaffer Annual
Lecture, Dunedin, New Zealand. August 2006
- Worley P. Teaching and learning in rural clinical
settings. Grey Hospital Grand Round, Greymouth, New Zealand. July
- Prideaux D, Worley P. Designing a Symbiotic
Curriculum for Clinical Competence. 12th International Ottawa
Conference on Clinical Competence, New York, USA, May 2006
- Worley P. What do Editors of Journal want?
Academic Seminar by Videoconference, University of Tasmania UDRH,
- Greenhill J, Worley P, Prideaux D, Wearne
S. Transformation: How clinicians can become educators
and researchers. ANZAME Conference, Brisbane, Australia, July
- Greenhill J, Walters L, Authentic learning
experiences are an effective educational strategy - myth or reality?
ANZAME Conference, Gold Coast, 2006
- Walters L, Commencing an integrated clerkship
model Videoconference to Northern Ontario School of Medicine Phase
2 stakeholders, December 2006
- Walters L, Precepting medical students in General
Practice. Undergraduate Medical Education in Rural Victoria Workshop,
Melbourne, November 2006
- Walters L. "Working through Barriers"
Presentation by Gilbert , Dr Letitia Kavanagh, Walters L. SA Health
Reform Aboriginal Change Champions
Workshop, Mt Gambier. 2004
- Walters L. "Maternity Care in rural Australia",
Healthy Women Healthy Communities Conference; Australian Rural
- Walters L. How do clinical Medical students
affect the work of the rural GPs who supervise them? PEARL at
ANZAME Conference, Adelaide. 2004
- Walters L. How do clinical Medical students
affect the work of the rural GPs who supervise them? Methodology
presentation for Masters degree, Flinders University. 2004
- Walters L. National Policy Developments at
RMEV Forum: A sustainable approach to undergraduate clinical placements.
- Walters L. Recruitment and Retention through
the Parallel Rural Community Curriculum, 7th National Rural Health
Conference: Hobart. 2003
- Walters L. Learning Objectives of the PRCC;
Workshop: How to manage difficult students; Workshop: How to teach
a scenario. ACRRM
National Teacher Training Course. 2002
- Worley P, Prideaux D, March R, Esterman A.
Rural community-based medical education: the academic performance
of undergraduate medical students who undertake a one-year clinical
attachment based in rural general practice. 2002 Ottawa Conference
on Medical Education. Ottawa, Canada, 2002.
- Worley P, Walters L, Mugford B, Rosenthal D.
The evolution of the Parallel Rural Community Curriculum. An innovation
in community-based medical education. The Network: towards unity
for health Annual Conference. Eldoret, Kenya, 2002.
- Worley P. Rural health: problems or opportunities?
Inaugural Professorial Lecture. Flinders University, Adelaide,
- Worley P. The application of clinical evidence:
a rural and remote perspective. National Institute for Clinical
Studies, Sydney, Australia, 2002
- Worley P. PRCC: the first five years. Riverland
PRCC Commencement dinner. Renmark, Australia, 2002
- Worley P. PRCC: welcome to the future. Greater
Green Triangle PRCC Commencement dinner. Mt Gambier, Australia,
- Worley P. Using Information Technology to overcome
isolation in the clinic and the classroom. An Australian Perspective.
National Rural and Remote Health Conference. Sydney, Australia,
- Birks R, Worley P, Milford L. Recruiting rural
students to graduate-entry medical courses. 6th National Undergraduate
Rural Health Conference. Hobart, Australia, 2002.
- Worley P. For better of for worse? The impact
of clinical CBME on doctors and practices. Riverland International
CBME Study Tour. Berri, Australia, 2002
- Worley P. The immediate academic impact of
basing an entire clinical year in rural general practice. PhD
Final Seminar, Adelaide, 2002
- Worley P. Rural undergraduate medical education:
Is the tertiary hospital still the gold standard? 2002 Handbury
Lecture. Hamilton, Victoria, Australia, 2002
- Worley P, Strasser R, Prideaux D, Silagy C,
March R. Can a rural medical education be a better education The
academic impact on undergraduate medical students of a rural-sited
clinical year. 5th International Rural WONCA Conference. Melbourne,
- Worley P. The first steps: the Australian College
of Rural and Remote Medicine pathway’s early success. Western
Australian Centre for Remote and Rural Medicine Annual Conference.
- Worley P, Oram J. The Lameroo Shared Care Midwifery
Program. Innovations in Midwifery Conference, Adelaide, Australia,
- Walters L. Driving change in GP led Mental
Health Service Delivery; ADGP National Division's Forum, Sydney.
- Worley P, Rosenthal D. Integrating undergraduate
and vocational education in general practice at the regional level.
Rural Workforce Agency, Victoria Annual Conference, Melbourne,
- Dolinski C, Worley P, Badger D, Wakerman J, Davies P,
McKinley A. 'Out of Alice': A 24-week remote health experience
for students. ANZAME Annual Conference Papers. Wellington NZ,
Association for Health Professional Education, 2001
- Worley P. Rosenthal D, Stagg P, Busby L, Teubner
J. The Flinders PRCC Rural Admission Sub-Quota. ACRRM Scientific
Forum Proceedings. Brisbane, Queensland. 2001
- Badger D, Worley P, Davies P. Resource and
Communication issues for rural and remote health students. ANZAME
Annual Conference Papers. Wellington NZ, Association for Health
Professional Education, 2001,
- Worley P, Nichols A. The Rural and Remote Areas
Placement Program. Lessons learned in regional training delivery.
National Rural Health Conference Proceedings. National Rural Health
Alliance, Canberra, ACT. 2001
- Worley P. Rural and Remote Health: the international
journal of rural and remote health research, education, practice
and policy. General Practice Evaluation Program Conference Proceedings,
National Information Service, Adelaide, South Australia, 2001
- Worley P. Relationships - the key to quality
in community-based medical education. 9th International Ottawa
Conference on Medical Education Proceedings. Cape Town, South
- Mugford B, Worley P, Milford L, Busby L. Remote
Teaching Site Management. General Practice Evaluation Program
Conference Proceedings, National Information Service, Hobart,
- Williams R, Kitto P, Edmondson W, Prideaux D, Worley
P. Camp Coorong: a community-based cultural awareness
program for first year graduate-entry medical students National
Undergraduate Rural Health Conference. Toowoomba, Queensland,
- Strasser R, Togno J, Worley P, Hays R. Models
of Sustainable Health Care in Rural and Remote Australia. Proceedings
of the Third World Rural Health Congress, Kuching, China. WONCA,
- Worley P, Squirrell D. Multidisciplinary undergraduate
medical education in rural general practice: Putting our educational
money where our mouth is! General Practice Evaluation Program
Conference Proceedings. National Information Service, 1999.
- Worley P, Lange R, Beilby J, Burgess T. Is
case-conferencing a retention rates winner for rural general practitioners
and mental health workers. General Practice Evaluation Program
Conference Proceedings. National Information Service, 1999.
- Strasser R, Worley P, Hays R, Togno J. Developing
Social Capital: Community Participation in Rural Health Services
5th National Rural Health Conference Proceedings. National Rural
Health Alliance, 1999
- Worley P Medical Education for the 21st Century,
Keynote Address, ANZAME Annual Conference, Darwin, 1998.
- Worley P, Bielby J, Lange R. Mental Health
Case-conferencing: Great solution, but an evaluation dilemma.
General Practice Evaluation Program Conference Proceedings. National
Information Service, 1998.
- Strasser R, Togno J, Carson D, Hays R, Veitch C Nichols A, Worley
P. Keys to sustainable rural and remote general practice
services. General Practice Evaluation Program Conference Proceedings.
National Information Service, 1998
- Worley P, Silagy C, Prideaux D. The Riverland
PRCC. Medical Education for the 21st century. General Practice
Evaluation Program Conference Proceedings. National Information
- Worley P, Silagy C, Prideaux D. Transforming
an Australian Rural Community into a Medical Campus. International
Conference on Partnerships for Community Health, Albuquerque.
Network of Community-Oriented Educational Institutions for Health